Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Weekend Review

This past weekend was jam packed with so many fun meals and activities, lets jump right in...

Friday morning I picked my dad up from the airport and we headed to run a few errands before grabbing lunch. I needed to be measured for a bridesmaids dress for my cousins wedding I will be in in August. She has chosen a bright poppy pink color, strapless and floor length- absolutely beautiful. This will be my first wedding as a bridesmaid and I am looking forward to all the various events we have planned over the next few months! Back to the weekend- after grabbing my measurements, we were both in the mood for sushi and headed to one of my favorite Raleigh restaurants- Cowfish. I was lucky enough to have tried Cowfish before when I lived in Charlotte and was so excited to learn there was also a location in Raleigh. 


One of my favorite parts about Cowfish is that you can get a half of a roll. In other words if your are trying to decide between two different rolls, you are able to get a half of each- perfect in my book. 

After lunch my dad was feeling pretty tired from his early morning flight and wanted to get settled into his hotel. I went back home and ran some errands before it was time to head back out for dinner. Friday night's dinner may have been my favorite part of the whole weekend. I have been dying to try out 42nd St. Oyster Bar and was so excited when my dad mentioned being in the mood for oysters. 

We opted to sit at the oyster bar and had one of the best meals I've had since living in Raleigh. 
Of course we had to try out the oysters and they were absolutely amazing. For dinner we both had the grouper and it also did not disappoint. We also finished our meal with Apple Pie and rum sauce.. holy yum. 

Saturday morning I headed to the gym to get in a quick workout in hopes of working off some of the last night's calories. After the gym, my dad and I headed to breakfast at Guglhupf, a German bakery in Durham. I had been once before but was definitely looking forward to returning, especially for their latte, which is still my favorite in the area. 
For breakfast I went with my favorite, the Eggs Arnold- toast, 2 poached eggs with tomatoes, artichokes, and spinach finished with a bit of hollandaise and fresh fruit. If you are in the Durham or Raleigh area, I highly suggest checking out Guglhupf, it has quickly become one of my favorite spots! 


After breakfast I actually had to head into work for just a bit but it was the perfect chance to show my dad around my new hospital. He was very impressed with some of our newer buildings and renovations and it was fun to show him where I work everyday. 

Next we headed to a man's dream world- BassPro Shop. My dad has only ever been to one before and since they don't have in Philadelphia, I thought it would be something fun for him to see as he loves to camp and fish. My guess was right and we walked isle by isle for nearly 45 minutes looking at all the different outdoor equipment and products. 

Next we headed to try out a local brewery- Lonerider. 
Lonerider makes one of my favorite Brown Ales, Sweet Josie so I was especially excited to check out the brewery and other selections on tap. Lucky for us the weather was gorgeous and they had a food truck! Another good place to try if you are in the Raleigh area and looking for a good craft brewery!

After the a few beers and snacks we headed to the movies to see The Theory of Everything. 

Dad let me pick the movie and after seeing so many previews and hearing how good it was, I couldn't turn down the chance to see it. The reviews turned out to be correct and I actually loved the movie, aside from getting a bit teary at times. I had no idea that Stephen Hawking is still alive and am looking forward to doing a bit more research on he and his family. 

After the movie we rush back to change and get ready for our dinner reservation in Chapel Hill at Lantern. When I was originally preparing for my dad's visit I knew I had to be prepared restaurant wise because my dad is not just into food, but really good food. After getting several suggestions from people, many people recommended Lantern as a good upscale but casual restaurant that would not disappoint. 
Our experience at Lantern was absolutely amazing and I would definitely recommend it to others as well. From the service to the wine to the dessert, everything was lovely and such a treat. 

Sunday my dad's flight wasn't until the evening so we had the whole day for more exploring and hate to say it but even fit in one more yummy meal. Sunday morning we ventured into Raleigh and had brunch at Tupelo Honey.


I honestly shocked we were able get a table but was happy we could check it out. Our breakfast was amazing and both my dad and I couldn't believe how good their coffee was. As someone who loves good coffee, it definitely did not disappoint and reminded me of something one would find in a small coffee authentic coffee shop. 

After breakfast we headed to the mall to walk around bit and I ended up scooping up a new dress I am really excited about.
I originally went into H&M to see if I could find Emily's dress she scored on clearance but had no luck. I actually loved so many things at H&M which could end up being a post later this week. 

After the mall we headed to check out a new brewery located just blocks away from what will be my new house in a few weeks!
If you are in the Raleigh area, this is another brewery I would definitely check out. They have a great space, both indoor and outdoor seating, cornhole, and live music on certain days. Two of my friends ended up coming up to meet my dad and I and enjoy a beer and some of the live music they had playing. 

Sadly we head to the airport that afternoon so my dad could catch his flight but boy did we have an amazing weekend! Major props if you made it through this length post! 

How did you spend your weekend?
Yours truly, 
Emily Ann




No comments: