Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Weekend Recap + Jazzed Up Portobello Pizzas


I'm back from the weekend and unfortunately have not one picture to share! I really need to get better at documenting the weekend but sometimes its so much better relaxing and not worrying about what I will post about come Monday. 

Friday I was off work and up early to do some cleaning around my house and headed out a for a sweaty midday run. It's been a long time since these feet have hit pavement and let me tell you it was rough. It was also so darn hot out that I stopped at the halfway mark to take a break and do some stairs. Friday night I met some friends at a restaurant along the canal for some yummy margaritas at Casa Del Barco. I had never been to their happy hour before but with margaritas and wine on tap on special I was one happy girl. While I normally would have headed home any other night I decided the night was still young and headed to another spot to meet some girls from work for a night cap. Saturday I was up early and headed to the farmers market before I had to go into work for a few hours. Once I was off I headed back home to finish up some laundry and do a little relaxing. Saturday night some friends and I headed out to watch the Pirates play USC and even though we lost we still had so much fun. Richmond has a great Pirate fan base and it's always so fun meeting different people that went to ECU at different points other then when I went there. Sunday was spent relaxing and getting ready for the upcoming week! 

Now onto something more exciting...

One of my all time favorite recipes to whip together for an easy but healthy dinner during the week are portobello pizzas. Their super easy but also yummy and don't leave my feelings quite as guilty as eating regular pizza. Last week I tried out a new recipe that I'm excited to share and that I think takes these healthy dinners to the next level. Normally my pizzas consisted of the mushroom cap roasted and filled with marinara topped with cheese and melted until bubbly and warm. Here's a little bit if a different take on portobello pizzas and how to add a bit more flavor and filling... 


Ingredients: 
2 large portobello mushrooms caps 
3-4 Roma tomatoes chopped 
1/2 yellow onion chopped 
4 cloves of garlic chopped 
Spinach- baby leaves or frozen 
Shredded Parmesan 

Preheat oven to 400. While oven is preheating add police oil to pan and begin sautéing onions. Once onions are translucent and tender add garlic and tomatoes. I only had frozen spinach and chose to add this in along with the onions, tomatoes, and garlic. Spoon mixture into mushroom caps, top with cheese, and bake for about 25-30 minutes. I also added a bit of chopped basil on top, along with some red pepper flakes. 


I had one for dinner along with some sautéed spinach and enjoyed the other for lunch the next day. If your looking for an easy healthy throw together meal during the week definitely try this recipe out! 

This weekend I made an early Saturday morning trip to the farmers market and am so excited about all my fresh veggies and fruit. Here's a look at this weeks menu:
Tuesday
Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs and toast 
Snack: Cottage cheese & peach
Lunch: Spinach salad 
Snack: Apple & almond butter 
Dinner: Kale caesar salad w roasted chick peas and salmon

Wednesday
Breakfast: Overnight oats & banana
Snack: Cottage cheese & peach
Lunch: Kale caesar with roasted chick peas
Snack: Apple & almond butter 
Dinner: Veggie sausage, sautéed kale and white beans 

Thursday
Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs & toast 
Snack: Nuts
Lunch: Leftover veggie sausage and kale
Snack: Cottage cheese and peach 
Dinner: Apple and cheddar grilled cheese and creamed spinach 

Friday- Off to Blacksburg to cheer on the Pirates against VTech!

I always feel so much better when my meals are planned out and I don't have to worry about what I'm bringing for lunch or having to cook for dinner. Here's to hoping this goes according to plan!

Yours truly, 
Emily Ann








No comments: