Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What I would to be better about this year...

I have been somewhat putting off this post until now, partly because until today I honestly was not sure what I wanted to improve on for this year. Resolutions are always hard for me to think of because I either aim way to high and create unrealistic resolutions or I aim too low and concentrate on things I'm already kinda good at. This year I have tried really hard to create a list of a few things I would like to keep in mind throughout the year to make me the best person I can at this new point in my life!


Resolution #1- Be more considerate. I have always thought of myself as a very caring and nice person, however I would like to show my considerate side a bit more in the form of; remembering birthdays and sending cards, helping my family out around the house and running errands for them or making dinner, and just pushing myself to go out of my way to do for others on a daily basis. Normally throughout the day I do hold doors for people, ALWAYS say please and thank you, and try to smile as I am walking by others but I would like to try and take it a bit further especially towards those I love and care about.


Resolution #2- Be more conscious of my finances. Where to even begin on this one... I am someone who from the age of learning numbers... was just never good with them. Going through college I was always broke, however I still managed to go out and do things with my friends even if it meant going to coin star. Having graduated and now learning to support myself, improving on my finances is definitely something I will need to work on. aka not going to Target, Barnes and Noble, and Ulta "just because".
Resolution #3- Eating healthier- more specifically, watching my portions! I would say that for the most part I eat pretty healthy. I have never been a big sweets person and am not someone who enjoys fried foods. Sure on the weekends I let myself indulge a little, mostly in the form of a late night piece of pizza but to be honest I am not so worried about that one piece of pizza on a Friday or Saturday night. My struggle is... portion size! Whatever it is in your body that tells you when your full and not to eat anymore...well mine seems to be a bit off. Even when it comes to healthy foods, for example carrots and hummus- I could sit down and eat 20 carrots with hummus as opposed to the 5-10 I should. In order to achieve this resolution I think it will be imperative for me to learn when my body is hungry and when its satisfied...not stuffed. Anyone else struggle with this?


Resolution #4- Incorporating different types of exercise into my routine. Hopping on a treadmill and completing and long run or doing intervals is something I do not mind doing at all. What I do mind and what I would like to improve on is incorporating different types of exercise into my workout routine other then running. This could mean weights, plyometrics, classes, pilates, the list could go on.

Resolution #5- Stop sweating the small stuff. This year I would like to become better at not worrying so much about the things that don't matter and in the long run, will have no impact on me or my life in a given amount of time. What I mean by this is, not worry about something that I won't even be thinking about a couple months from now or even next year. I think it is so easy to get caught up in the things that upset us in the moment that we forget to stop and put things in perspective and remember what its important and what really isn't. I definitely am someone who is very sensitive and tends to take things personal so I think this will be the most challenging and something that may take a lot of practice!



So there you have it dolls, my resolution list for 2012!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Good luck with your resolutions!

Katie said...

Hi Emily! I am a new follower and really like your blog so far! A lot of your resolutions are very similar to mine! I would love it if you stopped by my blog (hisdiamondandmine.blogspot.com)

Have a great day and Happy New Year!

Ashley said...

I think all of these are great and doable resolutions! I also am at one extreme or the other, either too far-fetched or too easy. I cannot find the happy medium, but hopefully this year we can both be successful! I can't wait to read more of your posts!

Ashley @littlemissneverrest.blogspot.com